Sunday, August 23, 2015

Rotary Wrap-up / Drive Time


We were able to get the first ten Pro Flex decks up on the table for inspection and adjustment this past week. The results: at an indicated setting of 1-3/4", the average was closer to 1-7/8" but more importantly we found a total deviation of 5/8" from deck to deck, and some units had the rear cutting lower than the front by over 1/4". The spec is for the rear to measure 1/8" higher than the front - this means that a small amount of distortion in the spindle mount from striking debris can make a large error at the tip of a 27" blade. We were able to get all the units within 1/8" of HOC by either moving the HOC adjustment, or by straightening out the spindle mounts. This required the decks to be lifted onto the table several times in some cases, so I will be mounting the table on casters so I can roll it under the chain hoist for future inspections. The decks weigh around 150 pounds each.

We had quite a bit of rain this week so not much mowing was done, but I could tell we are getting a much more uniform cut. Once we can get cought up with the grass I will get some photos for comparison. It will be interesting to see if we will wind up needing to raise the bench setting back up to 2" - note that the Pro Flex decks are wheel suspended and without a full-width roller will tend to scalp on mounding and undulations - I much prefer a rear roller for consistent after cut appearance.


Saturday was a fun day. I had finished installing my new seat covers on Friday, and Saturday morning I took the opportunity to give them a test drive. The covers came with the car three years ago and I just now took the time to tear in to the project. The covers are so-so quality, but much better than the old ones which were splitting at almost every seam. Of course I forgot to take pictures of the seats, but you can at least see the head rests in these photos...


It turns out that I now live about an hour south of some terrific driving roads; I took route 9 up through Dawsonville and Dahlonega, then 19 up to Turners Corner Cafe at the 19/129 intersection. From there I ran North on 129 to 180, down through Suches to route 60 to make a loop back to 19. This wound up being a fantastic three-hour cruise, and I'm sure I will do it again soon and as often as I can. The infamous "Tail of the Dragon" in Deals Gap NC (something like 300 curves in 11 miles) is two hours further North on 129, so the next day off with good weather I will be making that trip too.


I saw many quality vehicles on the trip, but there were also many streches where it was just me, the TR6, and the road - brilliant!

Regards,




No comments:

Post a Comment