Monday, August 31, 2015

Meeting The Dragon

Last Saturday I took a trip about three hours North of my new home in Cumming, GA, to some of the best driving roads anywhere - routes 19 in North GA, and route 129 in NC/TN. The route 19/129/180/60 loop makes for a perfect 1/2 day run for me, but for a long time I have wanted to run the section of 129 known as "The Tail of the Dragon".


                                           
I must admit that the thought of living this close to these roads played a part in my decision to move up from Florida. With the fall colors on the way I might be able to talk my wife into making a run with me!


Yes, 129 is kind of famous - the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort sits right at the beginning of The Dragon and serves as a launching pad for all types of cycles. Above is the photo-op dragon at the resort, and below is the "Tree of Shame" - loaded up with salvaged motorcycle parts from those who have been bitten...


Across the road is the Killboy headquarters, where some outrageous Hondas and Toyotas are based. Oh, and they also have their own dragon...


Along the way through The Dragon several photographers set up to take photos which you can buy as downloads, or order prints, shirts, etc. - it's quite the industry, and I felt compelled to lend support...




The 6 ran great on the trip, and this was the first time I felt like I could really put the cane to it and let loose. Note the brake dust on the front rims - they were clean when I started! I drove all the way home with a grin, and I can't wait to do it again!

Regards,










No comments:

Post a Comment