Sunday, August 30, 2015

Long Links

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was not able to adjust the John Deere QA5 cutting units to a "full flat" bedknife attitude and still adjust the groomer down far enough to engage the turf. I joked then about getting a link stretcher, but a 4" long 3/8" bolt was the answer.


Once the bolt head was cut off I welded the parts together and tacked a flat washer on for a spring stop. Once the parts were assembled we were able to lower the front roller all the way, reset the HOC to .400", and set the groomer to .350". 



8 degrees on the knife, and...


9 degrees on the rollers, for a net of -1 degree. I  was going for zero - "flat" - and would probably be there if the reels were fresh, but this will give me an idea if we are going in the right direction. 

The whole point of this adjustment is to take aggressiveness out of the cutting unit and help to achieve better after cut appearance. We are cutting zoysia and getting terrible overlap marks. As luck would have it, the weather hasn't allowed for follow up yet but I will post the results.

Regards,








No comments:

Post a Comment