Sunday, April 13, 2014

Planet Air



Rarely do I use the phrase "stupid engineering" when I describe a machine, but in this case I have to make an exception. I've been working with machinery for long enough to know that engineers need to make compromises during the design process. In this case, the decision made was just dumb. The lift mechanism on the Planet Air consists of a cross shaft with cams fabricated out of metal pipe which rub on the trailing arms when rotated into position. This machine is used on the greens, so slathering on a bunch of grease is not an option. Over time, the rubbing action wears through the pipe and creates an extreme bind. This also wears nice little troughs in the tops of the trailing arms. 


The least they could have done would be to install a cam follower type of roller in the arm instead of the pipe. We are out of money and time this month to buy new parts, so this Sunday I took the time to fabricate my own rollers out of sealed roller bearings we had in stock. 


I consider this a temporary repair, because the roller bearings that I used do not have the thick outer races that a cam follower would, and I expect they will probably crack in due time.


Hopefully this will get us through the season, and I can come up with something better this fall.

JP





No comments:

Post a Comment