Friday, August 23, 2019

Summer Update

This season has been especially busy it seems, with all courses getting intensive cultural practices in the month of July, followed with intensive machine and cutting unit maintenance in August.

I have been running the grinders this summer, and have gotten back into the "production mode" I established in Florida; I can run cutting units through my SIP grinders almost as fast as a man can set them up on the bench.

On a personal note, I was lucky enough to get registered for this year's Miata Reunion at Laguna Seca in October. This is a true "bucket list" thing for me, as I have long wanted a chance to drive that track. Also, I was born in Southern California and spent my early childhood in Anaheim. I remember taking drives up to Big Sur and playing in the surf as a young boy. This is the last year for Miata Reunion at Laguna Seca since Mazda has discontinued their sponsorship of the track - it is now known as "Weather Tech Raceway Laguna Seca". This year is also the 30th anniversary of the Miata, so there is a special buzz around the event.

This leads to the question of how am I getting the car and all my track gear out to California from Atlanta? I'm driving, of course! It's a three-day trek each way, and I'll be spending four days in California. Oklahoma City, OK, and Flagstaff, AZ are my intermediate stops. 

To transport all my track gear I have decided to build a trailer. When I go to my local track days I change tires at my shop and drive on the slicks to and from with no issues because the tracks are close, but there's no way I would ever be able to do that cross country. There is a company selling a range of track trailers, Leroy Engineering, which are great, but a bit out of my budget (this trip is going to tap out the till for the year - I haven't been to the track since April).

I will go into the trailer construction in a later post, but here is a teaser:


Regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment